jeudi, juillet 13, 2006

the island

what is this what is this what is this what is this what is this what is this what is this what is this what is this what is this what is this what is this what is this what is this what is this what is this

You may remember Aldous Huxley from such public school assignments as Brave New World and SOMA.

I've been thinking about the state-raised-baby aspect of BNW, so when I saw The Island on the $ .48 cart I was curious enough to start reading it.

I had some respect for Huxley on the basis of his non-fiction Doors of Perception, about LSD experiments...I remember thinking as a teenager that BNW had some frightening predictions about THE FUTURE. I guess reciently I started realzing that (to quote Joe Neff's Drexel Grandview sci-fi marathon t-shirt) THE FUTURE really IS history.

The Island has some interesting arguments about the nature of god and humans...I've been reading it on the subway on the way to work. It's a bit confusing with not much action and lots and lots of what is the word...dogma? pedantry? preaching? I don't know what I'm saying here.

It's a bit preachy, i guess...well informed but preachy...not unsual for utopian literature i suppose. I was wondering aloud to Krishna the other day about what impact Huxley's books have had in the US. I suspected that public acceptance of his ideas has increased greatly in the last 50 years. Krishna thought not.

Aucun commentaire: