samedi, mai 13, 2006

I think I thought I saw you

what is this what is this what is this what is this what is this what is this what is this what is this what is this what is this what is this what is this what is this what is this what is this what is this

Part of the fun of living in NY and working at a certain used bookstore is seeing famous people. I however miss out since I hardly ever recognize anyone unless I have slept with them or they have given birth to me. (I actually almost didn't recognize my mother when she came in last summer. Her hair was lighter. She looked smaller and out of context.) Also I am usually half engrossed in some sort of alphabetizing or literary daydream, so sometimes people take me off guard. Here is a list of the people, famous or otherwise that I may or may not have seen in or around Strand Books. (Some of you may remember the Steve Winnwood/Whataburger incident of 1987...so...you know...grain of salt and all that.)

Alice Cooper/Iggy Pop--some famous people have that look about them that je ne sais quoi expression that says "yes...it's really me." I think I saw a person that could have fit the description of either Alice Cooper (sans makeup) or Iggy Pop hanging out inthe history section scoping FDR...or some such subject. I tried to play it cool..."Hey." secretly wanting to lick him. Whoever it was he was very sexy...in a morbid sort of way.

Luke Wilson--unmistakable...and oh so adorable. I forget what he bought but he was very silly about it.

My mom's (pregnant?) cousin--this could easily have been a hallucination. Although she looked an awful lot like my mom's cousin and was staring right at me I went on with my business since I wasn't sure and after so many times of approaching someone who I think might be someone and having the embarrassment of that someone saying "No. Sorry...get away from me." I have decided that unless I really know this person (i.e. I have slept with this person or they have given birth to me.)I decided not to chance it.

Russell Crowe--unmistakable...startled me by the waterfountain in fiction early on in my Strand career. I freaked...not used to seeing his face less than four feet in diameter.

Milan Kundera--really freaked me out because I LOVE his writing but I didn't know what he looked like until he asked for his own book and then showed me is picture on the cover. The weird thing was...I think he was wearing the same shirt. Again I became extremely embarrassed and ran away.

Don De Lillo--Caught me staring at him and asked me where the "Music Specials" table had been moved to...very serious-like...again, I freaked...he might as well have been speaking Russian. Music what? Still kicking myself a year later. You idiot~say something witty or charming or droll...sigh.

Christopher Hitchens--such a common sight around the dollar books carts that I feel we are old friends. I have only just begun his book on kissinger though and feel I can't say much until I have completed at least one of his books...so mostly I just ignore him.

Gretchen Phillips--just the other day I saw THE Gretchin Phillips of two nice girls and SO wanted to ask her if she had ever had favors performed in peace park or If she would say hi to Andy Loomis for me, but alas I chickened out mostly because I couldn't remember her name. (sometimes I think I have alzheimers). The last time I saw her was at a film screening at SXSW 2001 when I remember thinking, "Damn, she's so well groomed."

There are so very many people that look like people I know or knew but who I know are not. And an amazing number of people who come up and talk to me in a way that I think they know me but I have no idea who they are. There are just so many people period(an actual period at this point may be redundant but what the hell).

Aucun commentaire: