jeudi, mai 18, 2006

What's the difference?

what is this what is this what is this what is this what is this what is this what is this what is this what is this what is this what is this what is this what is this what is this what is this what is this

ok...my math skills (both of them) have officially deteriorated.

The other day I read an article in the am news that said that subway ridership was UP UP UP.

All the way up to 4.9 million (7 million including busses) riders in March. I thought that number was Low Low Low. but tried to work out how many riders a day that would be. Whipping out the old long division...I came up with 163, 333. I approximated the number of express stops at 50, trying to under estimate rather than over estimate. 163, 333 divided by 50? about 3, 266 per express stop divided by 10 busy hours would be 326 per hour. If the train at MY stop on 145 and St. Nick comes every 15 minutes and 50 people get on I guess 4.9 million a month COULD be right...far as I know.

Then someone showed me a book that had listed the annual ridership at 1.4 billion. Okay...Okay..this sounded closer to reality. what is the difference between 4.9 million a month and 1.4 billion annually? I had to get a pencil out. 1.4 billion divided by 12...I came up with 116 million...plus or minus 666,666.

I seriously didn't know which number was accurate. The one I had read in the paper or the one in the book. As far as I knew it could be either one. 4.9 million or 116 million. It's a huge difference but I could believe either one.


Who cares? I don't know? 4.9 million per day in March adds up to about 147 million riders in the month of March. A really far cry from 4.9 million riders in the Month of March. Since riders equal dollars I guess I am very interested in that 142 million dollars in the month of March difference. Especially when MTA can't seem to keep its workers happy and is talking about fair hikes for 2007. Then again, I nudge the subway rider next to me, "what is 142 million dollars between friends? Eh?"

Now I googled the article and I see that MTA reported that ridership is up to 4.9 million riders per day in March. The original article I read was simply poorly worded...oops.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/local/story/418088p-353156c.html

2 commentaires:

Anonyme a dit…

the way i figure it, 1.66% of the entire american population rides the new york subway every day. i think that's pretty amazing in itself.
hi jj

Jennifer a dit…

That must be why (MTA?) can charge so much for advertising.