lundi, septembre 04, 2006

la la la labor unions

what is this what is this what is this what is this what is this what is this what is this what is this what is this what is this what is this what is this what is this what is this what is this what is this

So labor day has some extra-special signifigance for me now that i belong to a labor union that belongs to coalitions of labor unions.

Especially this year since I reciently turned to the UAW for help when I felt I was being harrassed by management at the bookstore with some very curious suprise "vacations".

The people at our local office were helpful and supportive. I can't say that they were not. These suspensions and the written criticisms that came with them were so absurd and defaming I couldn't really not not-dispute them. I still feel like they were some kind of prod designed to force me to run to the union for help.

So Horace from the local office came to talk to managers involved...managers who I thought of as friends but on paper looked like they didn't know me from the dead baby rat found head-smashed on the sidewalk outside my building this morning. I was accused of clocking in late, taking too long of a lunch break, having to be told to get back to work, and staring off into space.

The wierdest part is that supposedly Nancy, the corperation president told Bibbi that she had personally asked me to "get back to work" on a day that she never spoke to me. As she handed me the suspension form, Bibbi said she saw me shelving and had no idea what Nancy was talking about.

Horace talked with Will, the shop steward for the main floor and Bibi, the manager I most adore.

He talked with me and suggested that I make sure I let a manager know when I am going to lunch and look like I am working when Nancy the corperation president is around. The general concensus between Will, Horace and Bibi seems to be that Nancy is crazy, therefore absurdity reigns.

So...we shrugged, we shook hands, we made a friendly-but-not to-friendly half embrace and I went back to shelving cookbooks.

Aucun commentaire: