mercredi, avril 13, 2005

How did I wind up her?

what is this what is this what is this what is this what is this what is this what is this what is this what is this what is this what is this what is this what is this what is this what is this what is this

It's a beautiful day...wednesday...a day off sitting here with Tita...sunn streaming in the room...kids playing outside...a really nice day...I must get out and buy some groceries and do some laundry...but this spot here in the sun is warm and comfortable...Staten Island...Staten Island...Staten Island...Spaulding Grey was last seen on the Staten Island Ferry...Yesterday I was looking up an account at the bookstore and the combination of exaustion and my very bad spelling skills left me fumbling for the letters...Staton Island...Statin Island...MVW kindly bailed me out...um...I think it's StatEn...The woman with the account said (seriously)

"That's insulting...It's one of the five bourroughs."

Is that really something to be insulted by? Some poor schmuck with a bad education and you're going to take it as a personal insult...damn...some people have not enough to worry about. How is that insulting? She must have some kind of complex about living there...When I first moved here I wasn't sure how to spell Manhattan...some one who lived in this apartment before had written in blue paint on the yellow bathroom wall...Hh HAT...next to a funny little drawing of a hat...the hat looks like the snake in le petit prince that had eaten something hat shaped...every time I spell Manhattan I see that and think Man...Hh...HAT...tan.

I have less trouble with spanish names...San Antonio...Bandera...Laredo...San Pedro...Guadalupe...Guanajuato...no problemo.

I noticed everyone yesterday was buying Saul Bellow books...Saul Bellow and hakuri M...I guess Saul
bellow died.

I don't think I've read any of his stories...I have shelved some...I always liked the name...I didn't know he had won a noble...er...um...Nobel prize...Apparently he's won all kinds of prizes and he was very handsome too. Good-bye Saul Bellow...I hardly knew you.

2 commentaires:

Anonyme a dit…

jj,
i hope you're not getting sick....
i've never read bellow either....time will come...i haven't gotten into the american-diaspora thing...some time...
txau

Jennifer a dit…

hey, P!

How are you? Is K back from TX? I can't find your web site. Is it Murtera_bakery.com?