lundi, février 07, 2005

B. F. Skinner, Highline, and Maya Lin

What I know about B. F. Skinner and behavioral psychology comes from an intro psych class I took back in1987or 88(trying to type without looking here.) at San Antonio College. The professor was entertaining and made it prettoiuoparrgh! easy for us by giving her "in a nutshell" version of things. So Skinner and behavioralism fell out of fashion with Hitler is what stuck in my head. not a quote but my interpret=etatuion.
So the thought of modern day behavioralists never really occurred to me until I met one today (Sure, I knew there were loads of people studying and practicing marketing and sociology in the most scientific ways possible but I didn't link that with skinner and behavioralism.) This guy at the bookstore was evangelical about behaviorialism. I told him that I was sure it worked but it wasn't how I wanted to view society (Clockwork Orange twitch).

He said, "The truth shall set you free!"

I have been thinking about city spaces that have been left to nature. There is an abandoned building, an old school outside my window that has trees growing inside of it. Today (yesterday) someone bought a photobook about a retired raised trainline, the Highline. The photos were beautiful...beautiful...and beautiful. I think AIA was taking proposals for re-use designs for that site. The question in my mind about these things is fundamentally a question about designing and engineering anything. The action of design, planning, orchestrating, and destroying versus observing, appreciating, enjoying...the age old dichotomy (sp?) of becoming versus being.

In my life lately I have been very much in the mind set of becoming...finding a job...figuring out where to live and what to do. I think this is why I feel so tired. today (yesterday) I realized that I had to stop and just be for a while. I have been trying to create a non-profit group that would buy and renovate a building...Today (yesterday) I realized that I shouldn't worry about making it happen but instead it was ok to sit back and realize that I am doing what I have wanted to do already...the fun has already begun...the party has started...I can stop worrying about what to wear.

observing and appreciation...demanding change...what would Maya Lin do?




Aucun commentaire: