samedi, février 05, 2005

Christo, friends in NY, five minutes

I didn't think I had anything to write about but in the spirit of writing for writing's sake here i go...unloading thestuff piled up in my psyche like the mound o' laundry on my floor.

I have been thinking about my Mother, I should give her a call. Outside there is the sound of a someone speaking rapidly in Spanish. An engine running. A low voice over a policecar PA. I am practicing typing without looking. May...may...maybe...hmmm...a few...maybe fifteen minutes ago...the engine stopped...about fifteen minues ago some guy rang our door bell asking for Mono...Mono is the street name for Wilson, the father of Vy's baby. Some how I connect the police car outside with the unexpected visitor.

Vy called and left a message on my voice mail a few days ago. She wanted to know if her W-2's had been sent here. They are here. I haven't called her back.

Vy was the first person I met when I moved toNew York. We were pretty good friends for a while. Something happened...some exchanges. Before she even got pregnant. Something about her and Juliana...I went to Ohio for Christmas that year. When I came back they were not very friendly.

I guess she is a friend. I don't have many here. Kathy. Ryan. Vy. Socorro...Bernardo...Eric...Lew...Jeanette...Myrna? What about Adam. For a while Eric (Edy)the super was a good friend...he got kind of possessive and scary though. I was glad when Emma told me she had slept with him and I could confirm that he had lied to me...either that or Emma had lied...I still think he's a good person...mostly...a mostly good person...Edy and Henry were really good friends...at least I thought they were...sometimes here its hard to tell who is a genuine friend.

Yesterday Christo signed books at Strand. Lew, Jeanette and Myrna came in to see him. I didn't go up to see him. I couldn't think of what to say. I had that deer in headlights sort of brain freeze. I thought of something later. I could have asked him why he chose pvc...Matt asked if we wanted books signed...I didn't...I couldn't really afford one and I didn't really desire one. I told Saki I am very impressed by his work...not nostalgic or sentimental but...WOW! His work is impressive...It occurred to me this morning that I have never actually seen his sculptures
...heard tales...seen pictures...watched video...but I haven't seen one...they are very...ephemeral? temporary? fugitive? Fleeting? Huge and fleeting. Watching the DVD, I was impressed by how accurately the conceptual drawings matched the finished products.

Now here in Central Park, I can see one upclose and for two weeks. Maybe I will be nostalgic and sentimental then.

Five minutes has turned into an hour.


1 commentaire:

Lola a dit…

completely relate to your bit about friends and how it's hard to know who's a real friend. i like how you flowed from the doorbell to the W2's to the booksigning and all the stuff in between. NYC is great...but weird. Weird and great. I think most people who live here have an ambivalent relationship w/the city and the things it brings to light.